Our biggest baby Goliath had surgery. Two weeks ago we noticed Goliath having a little trouble getting starting when he jumped off the couch or bed, even if he went from the floor to standing. Goliath has a bad habit of sleeping and then something suddenly wakes him up and out the door he goes. Two Mondays ago Goliath was sleeping on the couch when it was time for him to be fed. He knows the phrase,"Goliath, do you want to eat?" Off he goes to his bowl to wait for his food. When he got up off the couch to eat Jerry and I noticed he wasn't putting any pressure on his back right leg. We didn't see him fall and he wasn't crying but of course tucking his leg was not a good thing. The very next day off to vet we went (Goliath has a great relationship with our vet, unfortunately!) We didn't see the vet we normally do because he wasn't working that day so we saw another one. The vet took a look at his leg and told us he didn't feel anything rolling or tight but we needed to take him back to see our regular vet who is also the surgeon. Goliath came home with a wrap around his leg and a ridiculous amount of medication to help him in the meantime. 5 days later we took him back to see our regular vet/surgeon to determine if he needed surgery. 10 minutes in the back room with Goliath the vet came back and told us he definitely needed surgery and that he had torn a ligament in his knee. SURGERY was a must. Two things came to us very quickly, One: How much? and Two: Is the surgery safe? What's the downtime? What does this mean for Goliath. I was really worried about Goliath going under anesthesia, I have an aunt who had a shar pei, and he had to have surgery. They have him too much anesthesia and he died, Ive never forgotten that story and how horrible it was, since then I've feared any pet of mine needing surgery. But February 3rd came and our Goliath got ready to go. We bathed him right before since we knew he wouldn't be able to take a bath for awhile...we all gave him millions of kisses, and then he was off. They called us late that afternoon saying Goliath was a champ came through the surgery with no problems. He had to stay one night with the vet, and the next night Jerry picked him up. When he came through the doors I swear you have never known that dog just have surgery. After he settled down we could tell he was little bit loopy, but our Goliath was happy to be home and we were happy to have him home.
Description of Photo Description of Photo Goliath's healing process is going to be long. He has to have his leg in a wrap for at least 2 months without putting pressure on it. The vet said the first two months are the hardest because he really needs to heal. He is on anti-inflammatories, pain meds, antibiotics and always his allergy medicine.


  1. At least you know how long to expect his recovery to take.

    1. Yes and thankfully it was faster than I expected!


Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016